Auditions – Character Descriptions – Timon 2016 & A Few Good Men
Character Descriptions for Timon 2016 & A Few Good Men
A re-envisioning of Shakespeare’s Timon of Athens.
- Timon (F, able to play late 30’s – mid 40’s)
Fighting for her political party’s nomination, Timon has learned over the years that the best way to gain support is give away money and gifts. This behavior earns her flattery, and a false sense of who are her friends.This role is envisioned for a woman of color.
- Flavius (Any gender, race or age)
Timon’s chief of staff, exceedingly loyal, soft-spoken but finally lets Timon know what’s happening with her finances
- Servilius / Flaminius (Any gender, race or age)
Campaign staffers loyal to Timon (will play other smaller roles as well)
- Lucilius (M, Caucasian, able to play early – mid 20’s)
Timon campaign staffer/intern. By Timon’s generosity, Lucilius gets the money and the girl, and promptly ‘forgets’ the role Timon played in his prosperity (will play other roles as well)
- Apemantus (Any gender or race, able to play older than Timon)
A cynic and the voice of experience, the one person who will always tell Timon the truth, a bitter mentor (will play other smaller roles as well, including a brief fight sequence)
- Alcibiades (Any gender, race or age)
Returning soldier, war hero, prefers to be on the battlefield instead of back stateside
- Hostilius (Any gender, race or age)
Returning soldier, constant companion of Alcibiades, will have brief fight sequence (will play other roles as well)
- Lucullus / Ventidius / Sempronius (M, Caucasian, able to play older than Timon)
The ‘Establishment,’ older white senators, will need to learn to waltz (will play other roles as well)
A Few Good Men
A play about the truth and the inability to handle it. The roles of Galloway and Jessup have already been filled.
- L.T. J.G. DANIEL KAFFEE (Navy) – Mid to Late 20s
Young, inexperienced JAG Attorney, attended Harvard Law on a Navy Scholarship.
- L.T. J.G. SAM WEINBERG (Navy) – 20s-30s
Smart JAG Attorney, friend to Kaffee, and moral voice of the play.
- CAPT. JACK ROSS (Marines) – 30s+
Experienced JAG Attorney/Prosecutor, professional and detached.
- DR. WALTER STONE (Navy) – 40s+
Career Navy Physician, who serves as an expert witness at trial.
- PFC. WILLIAM SANTIAGO (Marines) – Late teens
A young Marine whose death sets the story in motion.
- PFC. LOUDEN DOWNEY (Marines) – Late teens-early 20s
Young Marine accused of murdering Santiago. No close family, not outgoing, answers to Squad Leader Dawson.
- LANCE CPL. HAROLD DAWSON (Marines) – Late 20s
Young Marine accused of murdering Santiago. Good leader, values honor and integrity, held back from promotion for not following Kendrick’s orders.
- LT. JONATHAN KENDRICK (Marines) – Late 20s+
XO of Rifle Security Company Windward. Lives by the code “Unit, Corps, God, Country.” Employs questionable disciplinary techniques.
- CAPT. MATTHEW MARKINSON (Marines) – 40s+
Older but outranked by Jessup. Served 21 years in USMC and second-in-command at GITMO.
- CAPT. ISAAC WHITAKER (Navy) – Late 40s+
Supervising JAG attorney with sharp wit.
- JUDGE JULIUS RANDOLPH (Marines) – 40s+
Trial judge presiding over Court Martial; tough but fair.
- CPL. JEFFREY HOWARD (Marines) – Early 20s
Squad leader at GITMO, extremely likable, testifies at trial.